Founding partner Charles Irving Bryant, Sr. and his brother and partner Robert Bryant, FAIA (1930-1995) led the predecessor Bryant & Bryant firm through two breakthrough commissions in educational facilities during the first decade of the practice. In 1972 the firm was commissioned to design the replacement campus of the historic Dunbar Senior High School in Washington, DC. This 340,000 SF comprehensive high school and community center was the largest prime architect/engineer design commission ever award to an African American owned firm. The firm has designed over 50 other K thru College educational facilities projects for clients that include the District of Columbia Public Schools, Montgomery County Public Schools, Prince George County Public Schools, and Howard University.
In the early 1970s founding partner Charles Irving Bryant and his brother Robert, began assisting Dr. Cleveland Dennard in his vision of transforming a 21 acre site on upper Connecticut Avenue into a new home for the Washington Technical Institute (now the University of the District of Columbia). The firm led a joint venture that included Ellerbe Architects, Mariani Associates, and John Chase, FAIA, Architects, in master planning this 1.2 million SF prototype urban land grant university campus. The firm went on to act as lead or prime A/E designers on all of the 10 existing Van Ness campus buildings that were completed by 1990 at a construction costs of $200 million (in today’s dollars).